Finally, it’s here! The video clip for “Galope feat. Robertinho Barreto” from Quilombo do Futuro, filmed in Lapa on an almost non-existent budget by Maarten van der Glas who came down from Amsterdam to contribute his video skills. We had discussed at length who to cast for the fortunate/unfortunate character and after coming up with almost nothing, ended up deciding to just look for people on location the day of the shoot. While sitting having a late lunch, I noticed Seu Pedro walking around on Rua Riachuelo, greeting numerous people on the street, having a coffee and then settling down to his spot on a stool next to o depósito, where he keeps an eye on things. I introduced myself and explained what we wanted to do and his eyes lit up – he’d done a film shoot for O Globo at one point and so, he was totally qualified! And, down to give us a couple hours of his time to make the video. When Maarten met Daniel Tot at one of his gigs a few days earlier (he is a fantastic drummer), he was sure that we’d found our other main character, the malandro. It helped that he lived close by to our location and, coincidentally, he had known Seu Pedro since he was a young kid growing up in Lapa. The rest of the cast were all friends who happened to be around and willing to participate.
The idea for the video came from an experience I had while waiting for the bus in downtown Seattle at 2nd and Pike. Back in the day, when I was 12 years old or so, it was a pretty similar vibe to Lapa in many ways (only a LOT colder and way less music)…the main difference being that I have no idea what happened to the old man or the malandro.
My new record was released worldwide today. Have a listen below or buy it here.
Para quem estiver no Brasil, pode baixar o meu disco novo GRATUITAMENTE – por favor, compartilhe! Para baixar -
1) curte a página.
2) clique no “baixa quilombo do futuro.”
3) do lado direito: “free” e um carrinho de supermercado.
vc clica em free aparece um outro login para vc fazer.
faça esse login, permita que o aplicativo acesse seu facebook e baixe.
The second video clip to accompany Quilombo do Futuro, directed by Fernando Salis with a cameo by Funkero as bar man, Piloto de Fuga feat. Funkero and BNegão was filmed in Rio de Janeiro by Vitor Malheiros and Renato de Paula. Some of the thoughts, images and associations that run through the mind of a get away driver in crisis.
This is a mix I did as for Automation Records for their donation to our Beyond Digital project back in June. File under heavy, hard, experimental, electronic with nasty bits of noise and many different languages, but, oh! then there’s a mellow moment (must be El Remolon!)…..and so on. a few exclusive tracks too. Feel free to blog and distribute freely. Big, big, BIG UP to Jeremiah from Automation Records for his donations not only to Beyond Digital, but also to Quilombo do Futuro!!
1. Automation – DJ Sobrino
2. Track 5 – Unknown Artist
3. Killer Sound (Heavy Feet Remix) – Zinc
4. Kuduro Caliente – Prophex
5. Monolith – Migrant
6. Rub-A-Dub Bounce – DJ Flack
7. Atoanagaroa – Rodrigo Brandão
8. Gwababa (schlachthof Bronx Remix) – Spoek Mathambo
9. Bhangra Dance (Zeder Remix) – Zombies for Money
10. Eloy vs. Mbz – Villa Diamante
11. Aonde está Meu Outro Par de Sandalia Havaiana – DuSouto
12. Mikono Kweney Hewa – Muthoni the Drummer Queen
13. Samborigeno (Maga Bo Remix feat. Funkero) – DJ Farrapo
14. Ransom (Fletcher’s Deepest Darkest Dub) – Maga Bo
15. Red Skin Girl (ATCR Remix) – A Tribe Called Red
16. Black History Month – Saul Williams
17. Coragem – Unknown Artist
18. Skunky – Kanka
19. samba reggae break
20. Bills – Bird Peterson
21. El Mudo (Santos Tijuanero Remix) – unknown artist
22. Nwampfundla – Tshesha Boys
23. Amen Break
24. Rumbling Cork Screw – Otto Van Schirach
25. Systema Fobica (Ubaranamaralina) – BaianaSystem
26. Dem Can’t Stop We From Talk – Anthony B Meets Subatomic Sound System
27. NYC-2-Africa Dubstrumental – Subatomic Sound System & Nomadic Wax
28. La Cola Lex – El Remolon
29. Bonafidekilla (Aaron Spectre Remix) – Math Head
30. First Anal – Fury Project
31. Ta Violento – Javier Estrada & Boogat
32. El Cuco – Nerd Rage & Sluggo
33. The Beach Era (DJEF Mix) – El Remolon
34. Black Monday (Maga Bo Remix) – Teleseen
Russo Passapusso, one third of Bemba Trio, vocals for BaianaSystem, straight out of Salvador, Bahia, comes correct with this track and video (filmed in Shanghai, China during one of BaianaSystem’s recent tours there).
I had the honor of having Russo’s participation on one track for my new album, Quilombo do Futuro. coming in april.
Chopped and cut at Casa de Jones, Brooklyn, NYC. Extra special thanks to Geko Jones for helping make this happen.
If the downloads are gone at the above link, you can find more here: http://official.fm/tracks/338273
I’m still running my Kickstarter project. Massive thanks to the over 100 donors! We’re now 51% funded! Still a ways to go – please help support the project by spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter, blogs, email, carrier pigeon, spraypaint, shouting from your balcony, etc. Here’s the link again: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/comandodigital/maga-bo-quilombo-do-futuro-new-album-release
This mix is a compilation of music that has profoundly inspired my new release “Quilombo do Futuro.” This music contains a wisdom and connection with the universe that I don’t find in electronic music (or at least very rarely). Not one of the songs was created using a computer. These beats will challenge your Ableton auto warp engine with their (beautiful) irregularity. The velocity sensitivity on these drums will absolutely defy your groove quantize extractor. These drums are triggered by human hands in real time. It’s analog and human. It’s coco, samba, samba recôncavo, sambareggae, capoeira angola, jongo and maculelê.
1. Canto II – Clementina De Jesus/Tia Doca/Geraldo Filme
2. Coco De Manoel – Mestre Salustiano
3. Coco Do Pneu – Cila Do Coco E Seus Pupilos
4. Godê Pavão – Samba de Coco Raízes de Arcoverde
5. Repente Alagoano – Beija Flor e Treme Terra
6. Field Recording (source unknown) of Samba de Roda do Recôncavo Bahiano (artists unknown)
7. Percussão – Boi Paz do Brasil da Sociedade Junina Turma de São João Batista
8. Maculelê – Capoeira Mestre Suassuna
9. Levanta A Saia Lá Vem a Maré – Mestre Morães
10. Samba Reggae – Samara Capoeira
11. Eu Não Sou o Primeiro – Olodum
12. O Mais Belo dos Belos – Ilê Ayê
13. Princesa Isabel – Luma & Só do Samba
14. Field Recording (source unknown) – Jongo do Quilombo São José, Rio de Janeiro